Advantages to Breast Thermography Screening:
- Does not compress or touch breast tissue.
- Is safe, easy, pain free, and radiation free.
- Detects changes in breast tissue that accompany abnormalities.
- Images the entire breast area, including in the upper chest and underarm regions.
- Differentiates between fibrocystic breast disease and masses with a risk of malignancy.
- Safely screens breasts with implants and dense breast tissue.
- Evaluates the post-mastectomy chest wall.
- Is safe and reliable for nursing mothers.
- Gives opportunity for early intervention.
Breast Cancer Screening is an important part of a woman’s wellness program. At Metta Health Care we use breast thermography to help us detect early signs of breast tissue abnormalities.
Breast Thermography is:
- Radiation and Compression Free
- FDA approved as an adjunct to mammography
- Can detect breast tissue abnormalities up to eight years before a mammogram
Any woman desiring a risk-free, painless procedure, to screen for breast cancer is a candidate for Thermography.
Blood flow to the breast (and the rest of the body) is controlled by the autonomic nervous system (ANS).
When the body is cold, the autonomic nervous system constricts the blood vessels.Abnormal and cancerous tissues operate outside the autonomic nervous system, creating chemicals that dilate the blood vessels and completely bypass the autonomic nervous system.
So when the hands are placed in cold water to cool the body, the autonomic nervous system normally constricts vessels everywhere, including the breasts. But the cancer and pre-cancer regions don’t constrict and show up as “hot spots” in the thermogram. These “hot spots” can be predictive of current and future areas of concern.
Breast Thermography visually portrays physiologic changes in the breast tissue that correlate with cancer.
Thermography shows earliest detection of abnormal heat patterns, which can be detectable to 8 years earlier than a standard Mammogram’s abnormalities.
Breast cancer can only be diagnosed by microscopic examination of tissue by a pathologist. Although thermography can show patterns suggestive of possible cancer, thermography cannot diagnose cancer
We recommend that women having one or more of the risk factors listed below get an annual Thermogram.
The American Cancer Society says women are at risk for breast cancer if they:
- Are obese
- Began menstruating before age 12
- Have not had children
- Had their first child after 30 years old
- Stopped menstruating after age 50 years old
- Have a personal history of radiation exposure to the chest
- Are currently taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Have recently taken hormone replacement therapy for longer than five years
Make sure you follow all the instructions in our “Patient Forms” section before your appointment.
- Breast cancer screening study prompts Ontario to spend $25 million to replace mammography technology: Read the Study
- Routine Mammography May Lead to Overdiagnosis: Read the Study
- Mammogram results often wrong, U.S. study finds: Read the Study
- Busted! 8 mammogram truths every woman must know. Read the Article